Vocational Rehabilitation Can Work For You

Put simply, the Vocational Rehabilitation wing of GVRA helps people with disabilities find and maintain employment. As every individual person is different, so too are the services we offer. Some people may just need hearing aid while others may need help going to college while others may assistive technology like screen readers or text magnifiers while others still might need additional training.

So if you have a disability and want to work or need our services to keep the job that you have, please contact our Customer Care unit, and they'll be able to redirect to the appropriate office and answer any questions that you have. Or, if you want to contact an office specifically or find the office closest to you, you can click here. Download this pdf file. View the district map (effective as of 9.1.21) here.

Below is a list of some of our most frequently asked questions.

  • What does your agency do?

    GVRA operates five programs that share a primary goal -- to help people with disabilities to become fully productive members of society by achieving independence and meaningful employment. The largest of the programs is Vocational Rehabilitation (VR), Disability Adjudication Services and the Roosevelt Warm Springs. Two other unique divisions serve consumers with visual impairments -- the Business Enterprise Program and Georgia Industries for the Blind.

    Expand Collapse
  • How do I qualify for VR services?

    To qualify for vocational rehabilitation services, your disability must be permanent and affect your ability to work in at least two ways. Each person's situation is considered individually. So, contact your local office to find out for sure.

    Expand Collapse
  • Where do I apply for services if I am moving to Georgia?

    Contact the office nearest your new home. Staff from our local office will take your application and determine if you qualify.

    Expand Collapse
  • How do you determine if a person qualifies?

    Trained counselors will consider your disability and its effects on your ability to work.

    Expand Collapse
  • Can I receive services if I am not a U.S. citizen?

    If a person is not a U.S. citizen, they must have a valid permit to work in addition to having a disability which is permanent and affects his or her ability.

    Expand Collapse
  • How does the process work?

    The following is the VR process:

    • The client meets with a VR Counselor to complete an application.
    • The counselor and the client talk about how the disability affects the client's ability to work, and if he/she will benefit from VR services.
    • If the client qualifies for VR services, the counselor and client will talk about his/her employment goal.
    • Assessments are used to determine the services necessary to reach that employment goal.
    • A work plan is created, outlining the responsibilities of the client and the services to be provided by GVRA to help him/her reach their employment goal.

    NOTE: Financial eligibility requirements need to be met to receive some purchased services.

    Expand Collapse
  • What services are available?

    The services available are based on what is needed to go to work. They may include, but are not limited to:

    • Vocational assessment
    • Vocational counseling and guidance
    • Physical and mental restoration services
    • Vocational training
    • School-to-work transition
    • Rehabilitation technology
    • Supported employment
    • Job search and job placement
    • Referral to other agencies for needed services

    Once the necessary vocational rehabilitation services are received and employment is achieved, a 90-day follow-up is provided to the individual and the employer to ensure that there are no problems and the job is a good fit.

    After the 90-day follow-up period, the case is closed but GVRA staff will continue to check on the client to make sure everything is going well and they don't need additional supports.

    Expand Collapse
  • How do I get Assistive Work Technology?

    Assistive Work Technology (AWT) can be as simple as a magnifier for your computer. Your counselor will work with AWT staff to ensure you have what you need to succeed at work. You can read more about it Download this pdf file. here and Download this pdf file. here .

    Expand Collapse