Value of Performance Management
- Drives Accountability throughout the organization
- Ensures there is alignment between individuals’ goals and objectives and their agency’s goals and strategic plans
- Drives clear expectations with measurable, objective criteria
- Provides opportunities for feedback to employees
- Supports individual development planning to expand individuals’ skill sets
Guiding Principles of Performance Management
- People drive improved performance not forms. Focus is relationships and feedback.
- Performance management is a partnership between the manager and the employee.
- There should be no surprises at review time.
- Specific and objective feedback is key.
- All individual performance goals should be linked to those of the department or agency.
- Performance should be evaluated on what is to be accomplished as well as how it is to be accomplished.
- Performance should be carefully measured and documented to ensure fairness and objectivity.